24 September 2012

The Pillage is Against You


I got my hands on a pretty good campaign supplement about being a Viking Warlord (called, appropriately enough, AEGIR'S FIRE), and it's got the gears a-turnin'.

As you know, I'm working on a cards based action-themed roleplaying game.  No, it's not in hiatus, and yes, I've got a lot on my plate (between the Heroquest retroclone, or the ONI PUNCHING fun stuff, or a number of modules I've got brewing in the back of my skull), but I think this could work.

I'm going to create a skeletal copy of my game, probably in a one-page PDF version again, and then see if I can't manage to playtest it somehow. It won't be easy, since there aren't a lot of games that support somebody flopping cards around somewhat aimlessly, which means I might have to (ugh) try and find some local gamers to impress with my machinations.

If you haven't guessed by now, I'm not really very social about this sort of thing. I haven't had a regular gaming group in a long while. But this could be worth it. It could be a lot of fun.

The basic gist: You're a Viking village leader who is starting to raid coastlines. Your village has managed to create a longship, and now you need to successfully raid to get more money, more experienced warriors, and to continue the entire process. The system itself is completely system neutral, and it's brilliant as hell.

Obviously, The Odds Are Against You comes first. After that, I'm going to work on a nice leadership module, so to speak, that lets you apply my card game-based resolution system to a large scale conflict instead of a personal one. Since the scale is so different, it's going to take a bit of doing- but I have no doubt whatsoever that it'll be fun. I've even got a few ideas brewing in my head for it.

Watch this space. It's gonna be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking Back

They say that if you don't look back at who who were from a year ago and cringe that you haven't grown enough. What if I look back f...