25 February 2011

Reading some Histories

Borders is going out of sale, so I went down to my local variety and saw what was up. It wasn't a huge shock since I've lived in my current area less than a year, but it was still weird to see when the grandiose bookstore architecture is combined with a sort of doomed vibe. Very interesting. The signs are coming down, the employees are sort of, well, off, and the sales are great.

I had to pass up on a copy of the Malleus Malificarum, which actually is something I'd wanted to buy for a while now, in favor of The Histories by Herodotus. Which is something I'd wanted to buy for even longer now. It's sort of like The Republic or Thus Spoke Zarathustra, except where those are both kind of dry philosophical tomes, the Histories so far reads like a conversation with a very erudite but possibly senile old man. It's got a lot of interesting information, and it helps you learn a lot about the subject matter, but it treads equally in the actual histories of Herodotus' day and in random and bizarre gossip and mythology.

It's really a lot of fun, and it's an unbeatable deal at $8.

I'll get around to posting more stuff soon. I've been busy with classwork recently- between Physics and Precalculus I find that most of my most productive imagining time is quickly vanishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking Back

They say that if you don't look back at who who were from a year ago and cringe that you haven't grown enough. What if I look back f...