17 January 2012

Black Shield, the HeroQuest pseudo-clone


Welp, I've got some good news and some bad news. Which do you want to hear first?

Who am I even talking to?

As it turns out, porting the HeroQuest rules took me a little under one page, as long as we're talking about the stuff that you just need to play: how to move this guy, how to move that guy, what spells do, you know, the basics. The sort of thing that's covered in the "basic rules" section of the thing. It was easy. The spells are on self-explaining cards and so are the weapons and armor and potions and stuff, so that's even less to go on the actual "rules" page. I'll probably make this into a multiple-page PDF instead of a strictly one-page project (because I'm having so much fun, this is a trip down memory lane), which includes the need to find a great, iconic image or some sort of graphics wizard to whip one up for me. It's almost done. It's so close, you could run something right now (like, right now right now), but I'm going to wait to do the items and the magic for a little later. Because that's how I roll.

That was supposed to be the good news, but it ended up also being the bad news. In case that wasn't enough bad news for you, here's some more: It's gonna take longer than a day. But that's good news if you didn't know that I was on such a tight self-imposed schedule.

The more you know!

If you've got any suggestions to HeroQuest, let me know here. I'll also be scouring some of the HeroQuest messageboards and seeing what people come up with. I'm probably going to avoid most of it, embrace some of it, and marvel at the insanity of some people for a very tiny amount of the cases.

Anyways, I've been up for almost 18 hours now and it's probably getting close to nappy time. I'll probably see how much work I can continue dredging out of this brain of mine before I call it a night. Probably, I can at least write the cards into a text form, or find a copy of Zargon's screen and transform it into text-only before the night is up.

EXCELSIOR!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should take a look at Advanced HQ too, closer to RPGs than HQ itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I honestly considered it, but ultimately decided against it.

      Even though HeroQuest and Advanced HeroQuest have almost exactly the same names, AHQ is a totally different beast. It's essentially a roleplaying game in board game clothing, as opposed to a board game in roleplaying game clothes. I prefer the latter, mostly because of the nostalgia factor as well as the simple and elegant way it handles most everything.

      I like to apply Occam's Razor to gaming, reasoning that, because I'm an idiot, the less rules there are for me to forget and misinterpret, the more fun the game is going to be. HeroQuest has just enough crunch that we're not playing pure make-believe, and enough fluffines that my brain can remember the rules.

      Delete

Looking Back

They say that if you don't look back at who who were from a year ago and cringe that you haven't grown enough. What if I look back f...